I got the pics of the engine build from Norm. He is capturing the build process for me. Here they are from bare block to long block
|Here she is in the crate at the edge of the garage|
|Andy hooks it up|
|302CI - 352HP - 329TQ - on the Motofeet stand awaiting installation. |
Tranny is Perforamnce Automatic Street Smart AOD 2800 Stall
|Crate ready to be sent back to WCC|
|This is how I had the engine stored in the garage for the last 2 months... a little house of cardboard|
Andy had the honour of opening the box!
The best $100 you can spend in this situation is a set of MotoFeet from Century Performance with Solid wheels. They bolt into the engine mount holes with 7/16" bolts and support the motor and trans
|A little more... easy!!!|
|Just another inch or 2.... lower.... lower.... slowly!!!!|
|OK lift up on the tail stock!!|
|THAT'S GOT IT - SUCCESS!!!|
Question: Does the oil filter interfere with the power steering motor.
Answer: Yes a standard PF8A is too big, but for now a Quaker state QS3600 will do.
|They the QS3600 on a 5.0L SVT Mustang, but I suspect and number of shorter filters will work. I'll get a WIX before we start it up!|
Answer: Not anymore. The extra holes Factory Five put into the mount clocked the motor down far enough to more than clear a double sump oil pan.... no problem here!
As you can see the Mangnaflows are shorter and wider than the F5 stuff.
You can also see I replaces all the clamps with a considerably stronger clamp from Maganflow. They are 1 1/2 inch bands of steel with not only allows for LOTS of clamping power but also a fair amount of stiffness.
September 1, 2013
Ok. A job I'd been putting off out of fear. Now too many of you this may seem like nothing but for me... Huge!
Tinkered all my adult life with cars, but honestly never had my fingers near an automatic transmission. There i said it. Always had a gear car and i can wrap my head around that, but the Automatic transmission has always been a mystery to me.
Today i pulled the pan to install the Lokar shift lever and shifter. To my amazement... Not so bad. Followed the instructions, watch some you tube videos and it all went well. Darn proud of myself
Next.. Location of the shifter. After much research online and in email with Dr. Ruth and Bruce H. I decided on a Lokar 6" shifter... Problem is that the mounting hardware sits forward of the tailstock which with an AOD, leaves the shifter too far forward and close to the dash. I want it to fall in hand more like a 5 speed would without a long bent shifter arm.
So I used the rear mount bracket as the rear bracket then took a trip to the hardware store for a bunch of parts and u-bolts exhaust hangers and washers and nuts and cam up with a solid way to support the rear of the mounting bracket at the back of the trans.
Of course this left the supplied shifter rod too short, so out i went to pick up some aluminum 1/4" rod to thread with my trusty tap and die set... Mission accomplished. Once i make a few cuts in the tunnel should be good to go.
Now the shifter is in and I replaced the aluminum road with a steel one (feel safer) I
tackled the kickdown cable. It will need adjustment once we get the car fired, (see video I found on youtube below) but for now here are the pics (below video)
TO SEE THE FINAL OUT COME OF TV CABLE ADJUSTMENT, SCROLL DOWN TO NOVEMBER 15, 2015 ENTRY.
February 2, 2014
June 30 , 2014
|Good News - It runs and as a bonus the new MSD Distributor is much shorter and allows the use of the Cobra Air Cleaner - Yippee!|
November 30, 2014
November 15, 2015
Before the tunnel can go on and the interior wiring bundled up, I HAVE to get the TV cable adjusted.
The Ford AOD transmission has a high pressure kickdown and because I have a Holley Carb, I used the Ford AOD Hi-Tech Kickdown Kit from Lokar.
When we put the car away for the summer I could not get the damb thing adjusted. If you watched the video above it needs to be set at between 32 and 35 psi when in neutral with the spacer installed and 0 psi without. No matter what we did, the gauge always showed at least 15 psi and as much as 55 psi... no bueno!
The return spring on the Lokar cable is too weak to push the arm all the way back, so even with no tension on the cable it always had some pressure. Solution (as per the Lokar rep at SEMA 2015) add a simple carb spring that pulls the arm at the trans rather than just pushing the arm (see pics below)
|Notice the small spring added. It connects the TV arm to the front of the oil pan with a small hole drilled in the flange of the pan|